Author Coaching University
From Idea to Bookshelf
What if you had the secrets of the publishing industry explained to you? Imagine having a mentor to walk you step-by-step to getting published?
The enrollment period has ended for 2021.
Join our waitlist and be one of the FIRST to hear when the doors reopen in 2022!
What is Author Coaching University?
There once was a time when your job as an author was to write the manuscript and turn it in. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Today authors are expected to do so much more than simply write, including being a marketer, social media manager, publicist, and public speaker.
That is a LOT for one person to handle, especially if you don’t have experience in any of those realms.
Author Coaching University is a year-long program designed to help you to go “from idea to bookshelf”! Over the course of a year, you’ll participate in 24 LIVE group mastermind coaching classes (two each month) with a cohort of other like-minded authors.
In these sessions, you’ll receive essential publishing training from two of our coaches, who are veteran literary agents. In every session, we’ll teach you about specific areas of publishing, and we will give you direction, advice, and strategies tailored to your unique publishing journey.
Through our Author Coaching University curriculum, you’ll learn things like:
- How to narrow in on your target audience and felt need
- How to identify your book premise, promise, and hook
- Tips, strategies, methodologies, technologies to use when writing your book
- How to steward and grow your audience
- How to find a literary agent, query, and capture their attention
- Inside information about the acquisition and publishing process
- Suggestions for building your email list, social media, engagement, and direct marketing
- How the money works: advances, royalties, buybacks, etc.
- Book contract terms and explanations
- How to write and position your book proposal to secure your dream agent/editor
- Specifics on finding and engaging a collaborator, book mapper, co-writer
- Marketing and sales strategies, pre-order campaigns, book launch efforts, digital and social media tactics
- And so much more…
Imagine what it might feel like having the mysteries of the publishing universe explained to you. No more guessing!
You’ll get unstuck.
You will be motivated and encouraged to push and fight through the obstacles you’re facing right now.
You’ll have clarity, direction, and guidance from our team of literary agents as to what to do next.
You’ll discover ideas, tactics, and partners that you never would have encountered otherwise.
And you’ll be inspired by the journeys of the other authors in your cohort.
Author Coaching University
"From Unknown to Published Author"
We invite you to hear firsthand from one of our ACU Members, Evan Owens, who we helped
get traditionally published. Hear him share why he chose ACU, what he learned, and the
many benefits that came with being in an ACU cohort.
What You Will Get in Author Coaching University
Customized, Expert Advice
You’ll receive customized, expert advice on overcoming your specific obstacles and dilemmas, from writer's block to publisher conflicts, audience overhaul, and underperforming books.
You’ll be given tactical solutions--informed by everything we’ve learned--to help move you forward, tailored to your particular publishing journey.
Learn from Other Authors
You’ll get a chance to learn from the experiences of other authors so that you can reach similar heights (and avoid certain mistakes).
You’ll receive inside information about current publishing trends, what is working and what is not (especially as things shift rapidly during our extraordinary circumstances).
You'll gain accountability by having a group and members of our team who will help you stay encouraged, confident, and motivated to finish and revise your work.
You’ll discover the techniques that our roster of bestselling authors use to reach their audience, make side income, grow their platform, and expand their influence.
The Power of a Cohort and Community
After we teach on these publishing subjects, we will answer your individual and specific questions during our LIVE classroom. Imagine a safe, supportive environment where you have discussion, collaboration, and receive advice on your current publishing challenges.
Where do you want to go, and how do you want to get there?
As a member of Author Coaching University, you’ll be grouped with a cohort of other like-minded authors who are going to be bringing their questions to the table, too. You aren’t the only one who needs answers. They might ask questions you haven’t even thought to consider yet. Or questions about parts of the author journey you haven’t encountered yet. You’ll get to hear our answers and advice and guidance about their journey, and you get to take all of that wisdom with you on your journey as well!
And then you’re going to be brought into an exclusive online community with all the authors and aspiring authors in your cohort. In this online community, you’ll be able to chatter and collaborate and get support outside of our 24 LIVE classes. Our team of coaches will also be accessible, participating in the conversations and spurring you, on your personal author journey.
Watch a recent recording of an ACU cohort session now.
Not only will it provide an idea of what YOU can experience in this amazing community, but we hope you will take advantage of this FREE content you will hear with it’s discussion, questions, and tips.
At Yates & Yates Author Coaching, We Believe You Have a Powerful Message… and We Want to Help You Share It!
Formed by professionals from Yates & Yates, one of the nation’s leading literary agencies, we will coach you on how to build a publishing career and maximize your influence. With more than 120 years in publishing, our expertise has been honed over decades of coaching authors on everything from growing a platform to developing content to creating marketing plans and executing bestselling book launches.
You shouldn’t have to “know everything” to become a successful author. That’s our job. We believe that God has uniquely equipped us to help others use their gifts. You bring your talents and message, and we will guide you through the publishing and business aspects of achieving your dream.
FREE Access to our Library of Online Courses
As a student at Author Coaching University, you will receive free access to our Author Coaching Course Library. These are courses you can access on-demand, with over 10 hours of world-class instruction, workbooks, and exercises to help you get where you want to go as an author.
Plus, when there are situations where you need to do a deep dive with one of our coaches, you’ll be able to book one-on-one calls or even an Author Audit at a 20% Author Coaching University student discount.
Bonus Opportunity--Pitch Your Book to Our Team
Every student who completes the full one-year Author Coaching University program will have the opportunity to pitch their book project to Yates & Yates for possible representation.
We have been guiding the careers of New York Times bestselling authors for over 40 years. We have over 40 NYT bestsellers to our credit, and over 50 Publishers Weekly bestsellers.
We’ve worked with authors at every level of the spectrum - from first-timers to multi-million selling mega author brands, and everything in between. We’ve worked with many of our clients for decades, people like John Maxwell, Dr. Ben Carson, Jennie Allen, Jen Hatmaker, Jon Acuff, and John Eldredge.
But there is good news! We are ALWAYS on the lookout for new talent. (It’s true!) We are gatekeepers. Publishers look to us to bring to them gifted writers whom we’ve screened and stamped for approval, writers who are serious about publishing, and who can be profitable for them.
Enrollment is Limited and Will Expire
The enrollment period has ended for 2021.
If you’re serious about being an author, and Author Coaching University sounds right for you,
JOIN THE WAITLIST and be one of the first to hear when the doors reopen!
You will not regret it.
Do these questions resonate with you?
- “Everybody keeps telling me I should write a book. I need someone to explain exactly what to do and help me make it happen.”
- “Agents and editors keep saying I need to grow my platform. I need a lot of marketing help.”
- “Writing a book doesn’t scare me. Selling and marketing it does. I don’t even know how to start.”
- “I want to write a bestselling book."
- “How can a book grow my business and make me more profitable?”
- “I self-published my first book last year, but it didn’t sell very well. What can I be doing right now to help my book perform better?”
- “I’m struggling with imposter syndrome. I don’t feel qualified to write a book. I need a lot of encouragement, coaching, and support.”
- “I sent out my book proposal last year, and no editor was interested. How do I make my book proposal better so publishers respond favorably to it?”
- “I think I might need a co-writer. How do I find a collaborator?”
- “What are the pros and cons of an outside PR firm, or using the in-house publicity team for media and publicity?”
- “Airport stores, B & N, Amazon, Walmart, Target, Indies -- how do I make sure my book is in every retail store?”
- “What are the strengths and weaknesses of different publishing teams? How do I know what to look for in a publisher?”
- “How do I land my dream agent?”
- “Should I wait for a traditional publisher to make me an offer, or should I just self publish? What are the pros and cons?”
- “There are so many books in the marketplace, and mine is getting lost in the crowd. What are specific things I can be doing to get my book in front of my audience?”
Going it alone can only get you so far. It’s time to make the decision to get expert assistance and realize your career as an author. We can’t wait to coach you!
“When I entered the publishing world, I fell into the deep end fast. I didn’t know what I was doing. To bring [Yates & Yates] into the picture was a gift. I could focus on what God put me on earth to do, and they could focus on the business of it.”
Dr. Ben Carson
“[Working with Yates & Yates] is like having someone on your baseball team who knows how to play baseball, and having Mickey Mantle—it makes such a big difference. I highly recommend them.”